Wednesday, June 27, 2007

We made it to Hawaii!

19 days travelling across the Pacific Ocean, and we finally made it to the port of Hilo, on the big Island of Hawaii late Friday night. It was a fabulous 3 weeks of sailing on such a big expanse of water, learning to live with 36 other people in such a small area. We are now in Maui, after visiting the big Island, and snorkeling in Molikini, and we are off to Kauai tonight, then we will end our Island hopping in Honolulu, Oahu by July 2nd, where we will be until July 13th (when we head for Marquesas, Tuamotus, and Tahiti). It is all very exciting, and there is much going on right now! I have a bit of time to kill before I need to go shopping for groceries, so while the trainees are off on the Island, looking around, I need to shop for food supplies. Gillian was cooking yesterday, so I had a day off to tour around Lahaina, Maui, and today is my day cooking, so I made fresh bread early this morning for sandwiches, with apples and pretzels for people to take to the Island, and now I have to stock up with fresh fruit, veggies, and other food we will need for the next few days until we get to Kauai, or Honolulu. Weather is fabulous, very hot here, so it's nice when we get to sail and have some fresh, cool breeze! Bonice (Skipper's wife) is writing a log every night or so of the trip, and what's going on. It's fabulous, so go to www.salts.ca to read about our trip. Right now, I am in the internet cafe with the two first mates, Jose and Antony, as well as Lindsay (a trainee) who will be helping me with shopping for food, and then Jordan (the bosun) will pick us up in the Zodiac and motor us back to the boat (as we are anchored, not tied up to the dock here in Lahaina). It's a beautiful place, but there's really no place like home. Yes, I do miss home already, but I'm looking forward to seeing the other places we will go to and all the things we will be able to do. Deck bucket showers are refreshing every couple of days. Shaving has reduced to once every week or more. Fresh water showers are glorious under a hose at the end of a dock, but my favourite is just getting to swing off the rope swing, or dive off the end of the bowsprit, go snorkeling, or bowsprit hanging off the front of the boat while underway (it's exactly what it sounds like - two people put harnesses on, clip into a rope and carabeener, and jump into the water off the very front tip of the boat while we are moving, under 6knots, and hand into the water, somewhat like shark bait, only we have had not casualties yet). I have gone twice now, but the second time I went with Karen, and she almost drowned me with her leech-like legs and arms, flailing about and trying to grab me and hold onto me. It was quite the scene, I have lots of pictures to prove it! Getting up is quite difficult though, as you can imagine. We have to wait for a big swell (wave) to come so the boat dives down into the water so we are floating and can reach the hanging rope. Then we have to climb up, pulling ourself vertically out of the water, harnessed in still, and shimmy our way up the bobstays (big wire bars) into the whiskers (netting) under the bowsprit and climb over onto the bowsprit, where we have to then reclip ourselves with another line and walk back along the whiskers onto the deck. It's quite elaborate, and - as Karen may tell you later - very difficult (we had to have two people pull her up because she was too tired after several tries to pull herself up). It's really a great workout! Another great workout is trying to cook and carry all the large pots while the boat is rocking side to side and front and back! I have already got a burn on my forearm, finger, and toe (spilled hot oil), and a few minor cuts, but nothing major. I'm getting really good at balance (good core muscles from all those years of dance)! There is so much more to tell, but I have to go shopping for food now. I never got seasick, but many others did! I am learning a lot about cooking, as well as dealing with many people on such a small boat (37). I am having a great time, but miss you all so much! Please send a message on my blog, as I will check this and update more often than my email! Thank you for all your prayers and thoughts. I will be updating again, hopefully in Honolulu (I have a few days break in between Legs 1 and 2. Love to all of you, my dear family and friends!

13 comments:

Sarah M said...

Hi Katie! We all miss you and love you too. I've been waiting for you update for a couple days now as everyone elses' are filtering in as time permits. So glad to hear that everything is fantastic. Can't wait to see you in Figi. Keep the good times going! love ya, Sarah.

Anonymous said...

ahoy matie.. happy to hear leg #1 was all you wanted it to be and that you made it safely to Hawaii.. as you were talking about snorkeling in Molokini and walking around Lahini, it brought back great memories when we were there. Matt may have emailed you from Africa, but I will send you a couple of pics of him over there that I snagged from other blogs. Will send them to your kitty hotmail account :) Miss your smiling face around here. Hugs to you.. keep safe. Love, Judy

Ang said...

I'm hoping you call while in honolulu. I can help you shop!

Anonymous said...

Hi Darling girl,
I am loving Bonice's logs and anxiously read them every day - as it gives us an idea of what your trip is like. We are so very proud AND happy for you and Karen. House is sure quiet - but Jeff is trying his best to make his presence obvious! Waiting for a phone call - remember to phone really early or really late in the day. Many hugs and kisses. Mom

Ben S. said...

a new katie post! very exciting! well i'm pretty happy to hear about this other blog that will have some stories too. i'm totally worried for you and karen jumping off the front of the boat. that's insane! though i'm sure you're strong enough to climb back up. well done. i joined a new gym and when you come home, you can come with me for free on sundays! haha. i'm glad cooking is going pretty good. (from what it sounds minus the burns! ouch!) enjoy hawaii!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY CANADA DAY!! Don't forget to wave your Canadian flag in those U.S. waters.. Hope you're wearing red and white too! xxoo

Anonymous said...

KATIE!! So glad to hear from you and that you are safe and having a great time. Happy Canada Day! Sounds like you are super busy (not that I expected anything less!!). Paraguay was AWESOME and I can't wait to tell you about it sometime, maybe in an email. Love you lots and praying for you continually, EM.
xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Hey Katie it is the Monday of Canada day and I decided to catch up with our local SALTS gal. Actually Dave Eggbert from SALTS is here starting his Masters in Leadership and I look forward to getting to know him for the month of July.

He knows the Neale girls and thinks very highly of you....oh I just realized that others can read this so I better lay it on real thick...seriously, you are awesome Katie. I got a bit jealous, wishing that I was sailing around the Pacific too. Oh well, the Shuswaps will have to do.

Leah and Adam got engaged. Check out my Face book pictures.

Glenn

Anonymous said...

Hey beautiful, i was able to check your blog in tanzania before my climb. I love seeing the things you're doing. Thinkin of you always, and i love you so much. be safe, and good luck for the next leg. -lovematt

ps. sorry we cant talk on the phone. i miss your voice ;)

Ang said...

oh katie - it all sounds so exciting!!! i'm so glad that you are doing well and having such an amazing experience! i must say, i'm just a tad jealous. :) my life isnt much different from when you left, but thats ok - i'll have to seek adventure locally. anyway, keep yourself safe - you are continually in my thoughts and prayers! love you and miss you!

ang

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada. If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

Ben S. said...

oh rodrigo.

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie! We are happy to hear you and Karen have arrived safely in Hawaii, and we are loving your emails and Bonice's logs. It sounds like you are all having a fabulous time! We send our love to you and Karen, and be careful when you go shark-baiting! Love from, Amy & Jason.