Friday, February 1, 2008

Konichiwa from Japan!

We made it to Okinawa! After an 8-day sail we arrived in the city of Naha on the morning of January 31st. It took the most part of the day to get checked in, so none of us were able to get off the boat until dinner-time, but then we ate dinner and I went to bed shortly after then. I made the mistake of play-fighting with Jose in the Aft Cabin right before dinner, and I was practicing my kick-boxing moves on him. But he just picked me up and flipped me upside down. So I kicked him in the face (by accident, since my feet were closer to his head). Then he put me down, and Skipper suggested I hit him hard - I need to be tougher! So, I did the natural thing. No, I didn`t turn the other cheek; I wound up and gave him the hardest right hook I could muster! (As the youngest child of 4, and having an older brother who would constantly play-fight with me, toughen me up, and teach me new moves, I have a hard time not fighting back). Anyway, I must have done something wrong, because everyone heard the crack, of my fist against his shoulder, and it`s been hurting ever since! Suffice to say, I went to bed early that first night in Japan, after taking a few ibuprofin, icing my wrist, and trying to get comfortable and fall asleep. But it was still painful in the morning! So, after struggling through making breakfast and lunch - Karen helped - Sarah took me to the hospital to get an x-ray. This was my first experience of Japan! What a wonderful country! Everyone is so nice and kind, and very helpful and understanding, particularly to us foreigners! It`s great being in Japan, but there is still an American influence here, due to the fact that they still have a big Navy base here on the island, and we saw a U.S. chopper, battleship, jet, and another boat as we were coming into the harbour! But it is definitely a big culture change from the South Pacific! It`s wonderful! I really am enjoying this country! Of course, they do have the signature McDonalds, KFC, Starbucks, and some other American establishments, but they have so many different stores I have never seen before, which made it all worthwhile! Japan is a wonderful country, full of efficient and effective ways of running things (smaller, less-polluting cars, automatic escalators that turn on right before you step on, and off when you get off), and no garbage anywhere! Japan is just so far ahead of the rest of the world in technology, ideas of how to prevent pollution and garbage, and so much more! And they are so clean! Everywhere we go is so tidy and neat, and I think they have the upper-hand on health and eating right, too, with all the fish they eat and less fast food restaurants (I have yet to see an overweight Japanese person). Anyway, after getting some Yen out of the ATM (the local currency here; 100Yen is equal to about $1 Canadian), Sarah and I got dropped off at the Hospital. We talked to a lovely woman who spoke English (they found someone who could translate for us - how sweet!), but the orthopedic area didn`t have an opening until 2pm - which was too late for me as I had to be back on the boat to start dinner. So, she directed us to a clinic where we walked to and I got the x-ray. It`s not broken! YAY! I just have to wear a splint and keep it wrapped up for 2 weeks! That is really unfortunate! I can`t lift things, or write very well, and it`s just a pain in the butt! I find it really debilitating and annoying - a real nuisance! But I`ll be fine. It will just take a while to get better, but I can be patient and deal with it. But other than that, I have really enjoyed Japan! It`s a wonderful country, and I am getting really excited to be going to Hiroshima and Osaka next month! But first Shanghai! We will be here until about February 5th, and then we will leave for China, which will be a 2-3 day passage. But the East China Sea has been very rough weather as of late, so it will be a bit of a challenging trip, or so I think. But this is what makes the experience so grande and amazing! It really is an exciting and amazing trip, and I am so incredibly blessed and fortunate in so many ways! I am doing well, and enjoying myself, and I am really looking forward to all the things and places ahead that we will see and explore! Japan is my new favourite country! But still, there`s no place like home! Oh, Canada! I love you!

Take care, everyone! Thank you everyone for all your messages, emails, prayers, support, and best wishes! I love you all so much, and I do miss you terribly! I can`t wait to see you all again!

I love you and miss you so much, Matt! Take care of yourself, keep busy, and enjoy the rest of the season! It will be spring soon, and I will be home before you know it! The end of this Spring! It`s coming up! I`m so exciting!

Love always, Sailor Katie ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie! So good to hear from you. So sorry about your wrist! What an unfortunate, yet kind of funny, occurrence. Just think, it will be a fond memory to remember in the future of your first experience in Japan!! Glad you made it to Okinawa safely. Hope you enjoy yourself there before you head off! Love ya!
em

Ben S. said...

i can't believe you're already in japan! i finally have a package off to you to hopefully it'll get to you in shanghai. :) quit hitting people and hurting yourself. haha. looking forward to more posts!

Ang said...

that's so crazy, I have to tell you the story where I punched Geoff Stewart and broke my wrist too. Jeez, we would be the wrong girls to get in a fight with.
Take care of it!